Friday, May 21, 2021

End of year project for Lola!

 Good day!  

Today we have another homeschool post.  

We are talking about a fun holiday celebrated by the Jewish people.  It is called Purim.  Purim literally means "lots" and is sometimes known as the Feast of Lots.  This Jewish holiday commemorates when the Jewish people were saved from persecution in the ancient Persian Empire.  This story can be found in the Book of Esther.  


   

Lola has been studying ancient history this year starting with Creation and going through the time of the Greeks, so for her end of the year project she chose to cook some dishes that have been used to celebrate this holiday called Purim.  She chose four different recipes.  She cooked all day long, but it was all very delicious!  We decided to invite my sister and her family over to enjoy some of this feast as well.  




The first dish she made was a Traditional Purim Roast.  The recipe called for brisket but after realizing how much brisket cost we went with a substitute.



The next dish she made was the traditional challah which had golden raisins in it.  



After this she made Latkes!



And last but certainly not least she made some Apricot Hamantashan.  This is a triangular cookie which is supposed to represent Haman's three cornered hat.



We all had a wonderful time listening to the story of Esther and eating all the food!  Oh and Oreo even wore his fancy shirt.  


Praise God for all the amazing ways He works out His plan.  His ways are better than ours.  

Now, let's ask Lola a question or two about her year studying Ancient History.



1. What did you love or dislike about studying Ancient History this year?

I love History! I think my favorite part was that I got to read the Bible a lot.

2.  Tell us your most favorite book you read this year.

My favorite book I have read this year, I am actually reading currently. It is The Mysterious Benedict Society. Its got mystery, action, and my favorite, suspense. I definitely recommend it!

3.  What is one thing you like about the story of Esther?

Esther's faith and boldness. Even though she risked being executed, she went before the king, and saved her people.

4.  Of all the things you learned this year, what do you think will be the most helpful?

I think History. I learned a lot about different ancient religions and cultures. I love learning about different cultures!

5.  What are you looking forward to reading, watching or doing this summer?

Well I am definitely excited to read all of The Mysterious Benedict Society because there are 4 books. That will probably take most of my Summer. 😂 As for TV, all of the new Marvel shows! Black Widow comes to Theaters in June, and I am pretty excited about that. For activities, I am busy with my Etsy shop, and crocheting different goodies. I am making a Baby Yoda blanket and I probably won't finish that until Christmas.

Okay, thank you Lola!  This was a fun project!

No comments:

Post a Comment