Saturday, January 8, 2011

Meatballs and Spaghetti

Are you ready for the BEST
real meatballs and spaghetti
recipe EVER!?!





For the meatballs: 2 lbs. of ground turkey breast
1 cup of plain white or wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. of sea salt
1/2 tsp. of black pepper
1/4 tsp. of ground nutmeg
2 beaten egg-whites
Olive Oil

For the sauce: 1 tbsp. of Olive oil
1 cup of chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup of red wine, such as Chianti
1 (28oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp. chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 1/2 tsp. of sea salt
1/2 tsp. of black pepper

For serving: 1 1/2 pounds of spaghetti, cooked and
fresh Parmesan


Place the ground meat, both bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg whites, and 3/4 cup warm water in a bowl. Combine very lightly with a fork. Using your hands , lightly form the mixture into 2 inch meatballs.

Place meatballs on a foil lined cookie sheet and lightly spray tops of meatballs with cooking spray. Next you will broil meatballs for 15-20min. or until done.

For the sauce, heat the olive oil in pan. Add onion and saute over medium heat for 5 to 10 min. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the wine and cook on high until almost all the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper. After broiling meatballs put them in the sauce and simmer on the lowest heat for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve on hot cooked spaghetti and pass the grated Parmesan!




This recipe was so AWESOME that I had to share!
I must say Barefoot Contessa from the Food Network had made meatballs and spaghetti one day on her show and it looked so YUMMY! But after making it several times I decided I loved the recipe but it needed to be healthier! So I decided to do it a little differently. Instead of ground beef I used ground turkey breast, and instead frying the meatballs I broiled them! My husband wasn't too sure that my tweaking of this recipe would work but let me tell you in the end, he loved it! If you are a spaghetti and meatball lover like me, you will LOVE this recipe and it isn't too unhealthy either!

Anyway, I hope you like it!
so
Bon Appetit!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment